This Motherboard is ideal for storage servers and ZFS, it fits in all our cases we sell. Why this board? there are thousands other options?
- Dual CPU, but we also sell this board with the single CPU, when you need scalibility it is better to take this board from the start. You can later expand it with an extra CPU.
- This board has a max of 512 GB DDR4 ECC memory, and ZFS loves memory (other high desktop boards only have 64 GB)
- 7 PCI slots, so you can install/expand with HBA controllers. For example you can fit 3x controllers (9211-8i or 9300-8i) and 2 PCIe to M.2 for the ZFS cache and log. And have some spare for future use.
- 2x 1GB (Intel i210) network cards, can easily bonded for redundancy and/or bandwidth, you can also add an extra 10GB port network card. We have the 1x 10GB, 2x 10GB and 4x 10GB cards.
- IPMI interface, especially for lazy people, or fast remote support. Ideal for remote power off/on, console access, hardware insights.
- This board has 10 Internal SATA interfaces, which is an LSI 3008 so compatible with the LSI cards we sell. So you can start with a vdev of 8 disks and expand the vdev with 8 disks later. So you can spare a controller.
- We really like Supermicro, rock solid, long term support, high quality.
- It is LGA-3647 (Socket P) so nice CPU spport, although ZFS is not very CPU intensive (better add RAM) it is nice to know you can beef up this server with an high end CPU when needed.